Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The end is near...

No, not that end. Unlike LoLo, I am not yet convinced that the world is ending in a few short months (please don't mention this around him, he gets all crazy and quotes a show called "Ancient Aliens" and trust me, you're better off not knowing). I'm talking about the end of funemployment. It's coming!!

I can't tell you any details right now about when the end is coming or how (because honestly, I don't even know. Plus, what kind of blogger would I be if I didn't string you along for a little bit so that you are dying from anticipation before I resuscitate you with the details of my potentially good news??). 

During the past 6 months, I have cried, I have laughed, I have had to suck up my pride, but I have learned a lot about myself and have come to enjoy my unstructured days and abundant free time. Shoot, I've been unemployed so long that I did a craft project. If you know me, you know that I have not one creative bone in my body and that this is probably a sign that the world is probably ending on December 21, 2012. So maybe I was talking about the end of the world...You win, Mayans!!

But now, just as I am starting to figure it all out, it may be over. I would be lying if I told you I wasn't a little sad to see funemployment end. As hard as this time has been, I've finally started to figure out who I am without work. Who I am without a daily mission handed down to me by someone else. I've confirmed things I knew before: I hate cooking, I hate cleaning, and I am not a very good housewife, but I'm a great puppy cuddler. I've learned new things: I actually can go a long period of time without buying myself new clothes (but should never be forced to again), I am a really good bargain hunter, and I'm actually pretty resourceful when I have to be. 

When my unemployment first started, I felt useless, worthless, and like I lacked purpose in life. 6 months later, I know that I am so much more than what I do from 9 to 5. I'm a really good mom to my four-legged baby, Bronx. I'm also a wife who can make something out of very little (thank you, Groupons and other such deals). And I'm a pretty good sibling/daughter/granddaughter/niece/cousin who loves to help my family out whenever I can.

I know that when I start working again, it might be tough to get back into the routine. But I also know that I am ready. I've done what I needed to do in the past 6 months and I've spent this time in a way I can be proud of. I've had a lot of fun and I have a lot to show for it. So if the world does end the day before LoLo's 31st birthday, I can say I'm happy with how I spent my time here.



 



No comments: